Therapeutic Use Exemptions
Below you'll find a step-by-step guide for medical professionals to the Therapeutic Use Exemption process.
1. You assess an athlete for a complaint and determine that they need a specific medication
2. Check the status of the medication required by:
- using Drug Free Sport’s medications check
- calling Drug Free Sport NZ 0800 DRUGFREE (378437)
3. If the substance is prohibited, determine whether there are any alternatives that could be used
4. If there’s NO ALTERNATIVE, a TUE application must be completed (in emergency situations treatment may begin immediately). Athletes who compete at the highest level MAY need to have a TUE before they begin taking medication.
5. You can download an application form or call us to check whether the athlete needs to apply to his or her International Federation
6. The application must be completed in full by a medical practitioner (preferably the prescribing doctor) and all relevant supporting documentation attached. (Note that most applications require specialist support)
7. Submit your application to:
- Email TUE@drugfreesport.org.nz
- Drug Free Sport NZ: Fax: +64 9 580 0381 or PO Box 17451, Greenlane, Auckland 1546
- the athlete’s International Federation if appropriate
8. The application will be reviewed
9. The athlete and medical professional will be told whether the application has been accepted or rejected. The athlete will be told of any conditions including the date of expiry and restrictions on the use of the medication.
Drug Free Sport endeavours to process TUE applications as quickly as possible and we aim for a five-day turn-around, but you should aim to get a TUE application in as soon as possible.