The use of some medications is prohibited in sport. If you're an athlete and you get sick or injured or you need regular treatment for an ongoing condition, you need to check whether your medication is permitted in sport.
Athletes and support personnel can check medications here to find out whether the most commonly prescribed and over-the-counter medicines in New Zealand are permitted or prohibited in their sport.
If your medication is Prohibited, you'll need to apply for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE).
If athletes compete at a certain level and in certain competitions, they may need to apply for a TUE before they take medication which contains a prohibited substance. Please check what level and competitions require in advance TUEs here.
Important: Global DRO does not contain information on any supplements, herbal products, traditional medicine or any nutritional products. Use our Supplement Decision Making Guide understand the risks of supplements before making a decision to use them.
- Select the New Zealand flag on the Global DRO home page to check medications that you have purchased in New Zealand.
- Kiwi athletes can also search the status of ingredients and brands of medications that they purchase in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Switzerland or Japan by selecting the country flag on the Global DRO home page.
- It is essential that you ensure that you use the correct spelling of the brand, medication name or medication ingredient.
- Results are based on the current World Anti-Doping Agency's World Anti-Doping Code and the Prohibited List.
- Make sure you take note of any conditions (such as thresholds) and the route of administration as some medications are permitted in some instances, but prohibited in others. Always double check that the ingredients listed on your Global DRO search results match the ingredients listed on the label of your medication. Notify us immediately if there is a discrepancy.
- DFSNZ does not provide medical advice, treatment plans or recommend medications.
- DFSNZ endeavours to ensure that the information provided is up-to-date and accurate, but is not responsible for any errors, omissions or inaccuracies.
- If you can't find your medication using the service below, please send fill in this form and we'll respond to you by email.
- Global DRO does not contain information on any supplements. Use our Supplement Decision Making Guide understand the risks of supplements.