Many medications contain substances which are on the Prohibited List and are therefore prohibited in sport so athletes need to be careful about what they take.
Athletes should be encouraged to:
- advise medical professionals that they could be drug tested
- insist that medical professionals check whether the prescribed medicine is permitted in sport
- check medications themselves to see whether they are permitted in sport
- understand and follow the Therapeutic Use Exemption process if they need to take a medication that contains a prohibited substance.
Athletes can check the status of medications in the following ways:
- visit Drug Free Sport NZ’s medications check
- text the name of the medication or active ingredient to 4365
- phone 0800 DRUGFREE (378 437).
Check out the status of some common medications here or use our check our medications database for more specific information.